Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
ArdweeNET forum

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Timestamp  (Read 3671 times)
Graynomad
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: January 31, 2011, 02:44:00 AM »

The current timestamp counts 10ths of a second since 1/1/11 but it will overflow in 13 years. What to do? Another byte will fix this but be an extra overhead. Allow it to wrap around and figure out how to handle it when the time comes?

Rob, aka the GRAYnomad
garylcamp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 04:23:15 AM »

Off the top of my head, since this is a limited area net by nature a longer horizon than 13 years may not be necessary. I suggest let it wrap but leave room for a fix later. One fix I always envisioned on my clumsy attempts at networks was to put an extension bit in somewhere in the header to indicate a longer or more complex format. Thus you can always extend the header with newer code without breaking the old stuff. Forward comparable.
Graynomad
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 10:47:07 AM »

a longer horizon than 13 years may not be necessary
I agree, in ten years time we can think about it (yeah right Smiley)

I think the easiest thing it to just apply a system "origin date" and make all timestamps relative to that.

Rob, aka the GRAYnomad
garylcamp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 04:37:09 PM »

Should just be getting a roll on in ten years, maybe version 3 by then. Anyway, at 1st blush, the clock at start up would work if no one one puts together networks in different places and later decides to connect them. Say 2 buildings or small businesses, or maybe a motor home and a garage/home network that are occasionally connected? Need a little care there.
Graynomad
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 01:04:02 PM »

Should just be getting a roll on in ten years
He he, if then.

or maybe a motor home and a garage/home network that are occasionally connected? Need a little care there.
Yes good point. I think I'll start a todo thread for things that need to be thought about more.

Rob, aka the GRAYnomad
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: