Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
ArdweeNET forum

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Interrupts, do we need them?  (Read 6250 times)
Graynomad
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: February 11, 2011, 11:12:27 AM »

At present the spec allows for interrupts which in a nutshell means that a Node can jump the queue and be serviced before it would normally be in the course of the MCU's scheduled polling.

However the mechanism for interrupt requires that a Node detect bus clashes at the bit level, this in turn means that the phyisical layer has to be a form of open collector whereby the line is not actively driven for a recessive bit, rather pulled by a resistor.

This places some limits on the type of 485 tranceiver used and/or means wiring a tranceiver in a non-standard way. All of which I'm fairly happy with, but do we need interrupts at all?

The idea of them is mostly to allow real-time reponses, say when you switch a light on. If there are a lot of Nodes on a slow network it may take a second or two for the light to actually come on. Some thoughts on this

a) What would the worst case delay be, maybe it's not really a problem
b) Are there any real issues with a short delay in the first place
c) Could this be handled by simply allocating priorities and polling some Nodes more often than others

Rob, aka the GRAYnomad
Graynomad
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 12:07:24 AM »

I've answered this myself, and the answer is no (unless someone can convince me otherwise).

I came to this conclusion mostly because of the change to RS-485, interrupts need the ability to detect a bitwise bus clash and that's harder to do with 485 than an open-collector system like LIN.

I'm hoping that a good polling algorithm with priorities assigned to Nodes will make the system appear "real time" to a human.

I still like the idea though...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 12:10:09 AM by Graynomad » Logged

Rob, aka the GRAYnomad
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: